Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Craft of Research

Chapter 1
So the very beginning of the first chapter really caught my attention. The last half was stuff I already knew from experience like the writing to remember and writing to know. A small example of that is my To Do List. When I write the stuff I need to do, I remember to do it. And I remember remembering to do it. But anyway, the beginning of the chapter... so when they say that Williams has been to Australia, but the other authors haven't, but they know it exists because they've read about and seen maps of it. It just never occurred to me to think of research like that. Now I feel like we've earned the Internet and I'm glad it's here because we've been researching since the beginning and just glad that we can put it all in one place.
Chapter 2
Basically put yourself in the position as your reader. Such as how do they know already? Do I entertain them with a simple discussion and answer their questions? Or do I provide them with knew information and new outlook? Do they want a particular problem or question answered? So many questions so little time.
Chapter 3
In short, this chapter is about where to find inspiration on a topic. All of them sounded like fun. When I hear about something about animals I immediately go on YouTube to watch that animal or Google the animal to learn all I can. And like today, I wanted to be sure that World War I was started by the assassination of the Austrian minister or whatever. I was totally right. Then that ended up in me reading the rest of the Wikipedia page and then lead me to the World War II page and then to the United States of America page. I am way off topic now, but that's OK I think I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment