Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Unbiased Language

I can't really think of any situations when someone made an inappropriate remark on my gender. I remember instances really well where my intelligence and skills were questioned rather strongly. I wished the floor would swallow me up and I felt that awful sinking feeling in my gut. And I felt a huge rush of blood in my face and I knew that I was majorly blushing. But after wards I wished I had stood up for myself and told the person he had no right, etc... Oh well.

I just remembered an instance about age/physical stature. My friend and I were walking up to the Institute and I had been meaning to ask if she was really the age she had mentioned the other day. She was starting to breathe heavily (or at least barely noticeable) because of the incline and I stupidly chose this moment to ask her age. To my own embarrassment, she thought I was asking because of her breathing and she was probably feeling self-conscious about her age. She didn't seem to mind though and she just brushed it off and I followed her lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment